Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Toddler Talk Thursday ~ Week 9 (Discipline)



Family and Life in Las Vegas





Welcome to the ninth week of Toddler Talk Thursday! Where Family and Life in Las Vegas, Crazy about my Baybah, and My Life as a Sippy Cup Mom talk all things Toddler! Thank you for your patience with last weeks “break”. As all of you know, sometimes life gets a little busy.

Toddler Talk Thursday was created as a place for moms and dads of toddlers to come together over a weekly topic and share ideas, go-to toys, or products. It is a great way to meet other bloggers of toddlers. Each week the topic will be different; we invite you to link up, share your weekly Toddler Talk!!

Each week the hosts will travel around to each blog that links up, and pick an idea, story, or picture they think was a great example of that weeks topic. In order to qualify for this you need to blog about this week's topic, and follow the hosts. Comments letting us know you are participating are always great too. If we choose your blog, we will link back to your post the following week.

Our highlighted blogs this week are:
Mommy Madness
Love that Brock begs to paint everyday!

Through My Eyes
Love the idea to try and use yogurt as finger paints.

Milk and Honey Learn and Grow
Love the Ivory Soap Painting



This week’s topic is Discipline.



I struggle with how to discipline my Squish. Every time I tell Squish “Not for little hands.” Or “Mommy said that isn’t safe.” He laughs at me and thinks it is a game.
We have tried implementing timeouts (1 minute because he is 1 year old) in the pack and play. But as soon as I take him out, he goes right back for what he was getting into.
We have tried distraction, taking him to a different area, but over and over he goes back to the things he knows he shouldn’t be in.

Another thing we aren’t having much progress in is gentle touches, not hitting or pulling, and no throwing. I say “Ouch, that hurts Mommy; you don’t want to hurt Mommy right? “See like this”, and I will show how to touch on him or with his hand on my face/hair. Or more recently he loves to throw his books, toys, anything he can. And he is strong so it hurts if it hits me, or I worry he will break his toys or hurt himself. I tell him nicely, “We don’t throw our books, we read them.” Or “That is a floor toy; please keep it on the floor.” But he just smiles and continues the behavior, which leads to the time outs that I can’t tell are working or if he even understands him.

As my first child, even having worked as a daycare teacher, this is an issue I struggle with daily. I would like my son to grow up respecting the environment and people around him, while at the same time still enjoying life as a boy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Next weeks topic will be: Halloween – Post anything related to Toddlers and Halloween. Also we would love to hear from you what topics you would like featured on Toddler Talk.Sorry - Just feeling deprived of Squishy picture posting! :)


Link Up Suggestions
1. We ask that you follow all three hosts. That way you can keep up to date on future Toddler Talks.
2. Please link up with the URL of your Toddler Talk post, so we are looking through other posts to find it.
3. Please grab the Toddler Talk Button and display it in your post or on your blog.
4. Stop in to other blogs that are linking up. Leave a meaningful comment if you visit, and follow if you would like.
5. This link up is for families that have toddlers. Raising a toddler can be fun, crazy, exciting, and exhausting. Sharing what works for you could give other families another way to do things.
6. Have Fun!


Please – Before you Link up – This is NOT A BLOG HOP!! IT IS A MEME FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS OF TODDLERS. If you aren’t going to post specific to this weeks topic, than don’t link up.

If people continue to treat this as a hop – we will no longer have a link up, and you will just need to leave a comment with a link to your post. I am sorry, but it just isn’t fair to those who actually do participate.



The Two Savvy SistersPhotobucket


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At September 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

Sounds like us. Baybah just laughs at me like it is a game too. I hope others participate, I would love some advice on this!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

Emily that is so cute! Of course it is all a game. :) Other wise being a mom would be too easy! That is the part that poops us out every day. Great picture! Have a good night!

Mama Hen

 
At September 29, 2010 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Amanda & Colby said...

I am having problems disciplining my little guy he hits, and pulls out my hair in yanks...and doesn't know that when my voice gets a bit louder he needs to stop...and has no idea what No means.

He just smiles at me everytime.

 
At September 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Sippy Cup Mom said...

Hayden used to laugh at me all the time too. I'm sorry, but I just love that picture of him looking up at you, like I am the boss! Too funny!

 
At September 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM , Blogger KC Baldwin said...

We must have the same toddler because it seems like we're up against the same battle when it comes to this! I never thought about putting him in the pack n play for timeouts, but now it's too late since we're all set up for Baby #2.

Does anyone have any timeout suggestions for a 15 month old, besides putting him in the pack n play, for us to try?

 
At October 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

HA! My teeny Mugsy packs the BIGGEST punch! She is so physical! And she throws everything! We starting telling her "You HURT Sissy!" while the offended pretended to be crying- if she wasn't really crying. Then we would take her hand and pet the hurt person with it saying "Be nice! See? Nice! AWWWWWWW!" Just keep doing it and doing it! Then, one time he will do it on his own and you go "AWWWWW! Nice baby!" and make a big deal about him 'petting' nicely. You have to say the "AWWWW!" because it is an auditory cue. They will associate that word with being nice and 'petting.' Now, she goes "AWWWW!" everytime she is nice and we reinforce it with lots of praise. If she hits we say "AWWWW! Thats not nice!" and the "AWWWW!" triggers her to pet and hug and kiss- and she does! I feel like Pavlov sometimes but it works!
It is nice to explain about hitting and hurting and blah blah blah but the only thing it accomplishes now is getting you in the habit for when he is older. He still needs to be treated as a baby- because he is a baby!
Great linky!
Tiffany

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home