Sunday, August 29, 2010

Confession on a Sunday Night

So I have a confession….

I wish I was crafty. I am filled with envy every time I open a blog filled with all of its crafty goodness. I wish that was me. And don’t even get me started on Etsy. I have a love hate relationship with that place. I love the handmade, homespun goodness that is Etsy. Its pores ooze pure creativity. I hate that that isn’t me. I hate that I have never been a crafty person.

I was the athlete growing up. My brother and sister are both musicians. My sister has always been crafty. She could easily live in Michael’s. Although she couldn’t work there because then all her money would be spent on crafts. I can’t draw, can’t paint, am a big scrapbook failure (still stuck in November of my son’s first year scrapbook), I guess I can write, but what I really really want to do is sew. My Aunt makes the most fabulous quilts. She made my baby blanket, and my wedding quilt. My friend Alex is pretty handy around a sewing machine. For Christmas she gave us some handmade baby items, which I absolutely loved. These days I am finding I love the handmade gifts more than the store bought variety (with the exceptions of appliances). For Squish’s birthday my friend Lolo’s husband did a painting for his nursery. It was beautiful; vintage airplanes (Squish’s nursery theme). I want to be able to do that one day.


Handmade gifts are one of a kind, they are from the heart, and if you know how to be crafty 9/10 you are saving money! So I have decided I am going to attempt my hand at some of the wonderful tutorials the blogosphere has to offer. There are so many to choose from. I will feature them as I get around to making them. My goal is two-fold; I would love for someone to say to me one day that I too am crafty. I want to inspire someone to pick up a sewing needle or whatever inspires them and try it.

The second goal is to start being more organized. It makes me slightly nauseous when I see these crafty ladies and their super cute houses that are seemingly clutter free. While I know that is never going to be me, I figure if I look at each room as a possibility to be crafty, I may not hate having to put the work into re-organizing my house. It is funny, you would think being OCD would make it so I liked to clean, and be organized. That couldn’t be further from the truth. I am one of the most disorganized people I know. I will again be turning to fellow bloggers for inspiration in this journey, and then posting about it.

Don’t fret though, I promise that my crafting attempts won’t take away from the sweetness of my silly Squishy baby boy, and all the Toddler family fun we are seeking out. His face will still be plastered all over my blog. This is just something that I have always wanted to do, and by utilizing the resources around me, I hope I will one day achieve my goal and be a crafty albeit still sleep deprived mama!

In other news, Squish’s 4th Molar Monster has made an appearance. My poor little man is a drooling fool. This combined with the fact that he is reaching the age where he is learning about boundaries can make for some crazy moments, but he still manages to find a way to let his silly happiness shine through. I love this little man, Molar Monsters and all!



Look who is so proud of himself for stealing mama's phone
-----------------
Watching little Einsteins



My favorite little Phone Thief, but when did he turn into a little boy??

Hope everyone’s weekend was enjoyed. I know we were pretty crazy around here… I can’t believe I am heading back to Minnesota in just 3 short days!! I have WAY too much to do!
mingle mondays buttonGiveawayBlogdomQuestion of the Week: Do you return your cart to the corral at the grocery store?
Heck Yeah I do, I can't stand when people don't walk the 5 steps to bring it to the corral. Lazy butts!!

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

At August 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

LOL, I love the pictures of Squishy with your phone too cute! I am wanna be crafty girl too! I have tried my hand at so many things and have failed many. I am the worst at scrap booking though! I love buying the paper, dreaming up the ideas but I never actually do anything LOL. I suggest doing his baby book online it is so much easier and it looks like you were crafty but don't have to cut anything out. Try Scrapblog out it is cool. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family!

 
At August 29, 2010 at 11:06 PM , Blogger Amanda & Colby said...

I know I was born with the crafty gene, and I love being crafty. However, I find I never have time to indulge in my crafts.

However, I do plan on changing that. I look forward to seeing what you craft! Everyone has a bit of a craft gene, and I bet whatever you attempt will be awesome!

 
At August 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

I love your Party till it's 1999 answer...you young thing! :)

 
At August 30, 2010 at 4:11 AM , Blogger Debby said...

Came to visit and return the follow. Already loving your site. Thanks for visiting me. Debby

 
At August 30, 2010 at 4:14 AM , Blogger Debby said...

Please excuse previous comment. I got lost between fri and mon hops. I am a new follower and hope you'll visit at deal-liciousdebby.blogspot.com

 
At August 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

I love the pics of your phone thief! Too cute! And I'm with you about the crafty gene, I was an athlete growing up too and my crafty gene must have been crushed because I am so envious of the Etsy and Scrapbookers and all those crafty blogs!

 
At August 30, 2010 at 5:16 AM , Blogger Missy said...

Hi from Mingle Monday! I'm a new follower. :)

 
At August 30, 2010 at 6:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I also love Say Yes to the Dress. I don't know how I feel about the new one yet though.

 
At August 30, 2010 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

I'm your newest follower from Mingle Mondays.

http://kellysmomoir.blogspot.com

 
At August 30, 2010 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Sippy Cup Mom said...

He is just too cute! Squish!

I am the same way, I WISH I was crafty and creative. I'm going to try and start knitting, I'm going to buy some stuff and try it on our trip down to Gulf Shores.

 
At August 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Carol said...

What a little cutie!
I'm following you, will you follow me?
http://songberries.blogspot.com/2010/08/marvelous-monday-blog-hop.html

 
At August 30, 2010 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Erica K said...

stopping by from Mingle Monday.

I just started trying to become crafty, lol. Big word is TRYING, I don't think I'm doing so hot, but we'll see, lol

http://www.bassgiraffe.com/2010/08/weekly-linkups-7.html

 
At August 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM , Blogger Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

I love that you're going to try sewing! It is much easier than you think. I taught a friend how to sew and she'd never even as much as touched a machine, and now she makes more quilts than I do! And, there are lots of helpful books and tutorials on youtube. Oh, and if you ever have any questions, send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to get you through it! Good luck!

Jennie
jennie@cloverandviolet.com

 
At August 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Amber@Nater Tot said...

What a cutie your little guys is! I am visiting (and now following!) from Mingle Monday. And I am so with you on the love/hate Etsy relationship!

 
At August 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

Good luck with your adventure! I hope you find something you really love creating. I have a couple of wooden sign tutorials on my blog, if you're interested - it's so easy making cool things out of old wood :)

I love Etsy - I hate that everyone has awesome ideas, but I love surfing and finding cute stuff - especially jewelry! I'm a sucker for the hand-stamped jewelry that's all over Etsy now.

Good luck with getting organized - I have nothing to say about that! I suck at it!

 
At August 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Leslie said...

If you ever want to learn how to crochet, let me know. I am really good at the basics and I have a pattern for a really simple blankie to start out with. I can make a video and post it on youtube to help you out.

 
At August 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Ma What's 4 dinner said...

My two littlest ones are watching Little Einsteins right now. Newest follower here from the Monday Blog Hops. Hope you'll come by and say hi and return the favor.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

 
At August 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Desirae Legerski said...

I am the same way. I want to be craft so bad. I am planning on taking a sewing class this winter and some kind of class in Oct. TBD. I am going to be crafty if it is the last thing i do!

 
At August 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what you dress up as for Halloween.

 
At August 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Sassy Sites! said...

Very cute blog! I am coming from Mingle Monday! I'm your newest follower! I hope you come by Sassy Sites and become a follower too... and sign up for my $50 vinyl lettering gift card. It ends Wednesday. xoxo

 
At August 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Heather, stopping by from the Monday Minute! Nice blog :-) I'll be back!

Heather
http://misadventuresofamommy.com

 
At August 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Leslie said...

sure you can enter! her website is on that form you fill out on the page www.bellebutters.com

Her facebook page, all you have to do is look up belle butters on face book :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home