Monday, July 19, 2010

Beating the Heat and a Picture Treat!

Weekends in Las Vegas during the summertime mean one thing! HOT HOT HOT weather! I am talking hotter then "Bieber Fever" here.

Today I got my in my car and my dashboard read out at 117 - and it only cooled down 3 degrees while driving. Our days are spent trying to find things to do in Las Vegas that will;
1. Entertain a Toddler
and
2. Not leave us more baked then the chicken I made for dinner the other night!

Saturday we woke up nice and early and drove to pick up our Bountiful Basket. So much amazing produce for such a little price!! Seriously it was one of the best baskets we had! (And they have all been great.)

We got 9 bananas, 10 peaches, 7 plums, 1 mini-watermelon, 1 huge bag of juicy green grapes, a carton of strawberries, 5 artichokes, 1 bunch of Swiss chard, 1 bunch of celery, 2 heads of cabbage, and 2 bunches of radishes, all of which are organic produce!

I still feel like I am forgetting something!! The best part? It only costs me $25! Yes you read that right - $15 for regular produce, and $25 for organic. So while I do have to wake up early both Tuesday and Saturday to sign up for and then pick up our basket, I think the savings alone are way worth the lost hour or so of sleep! I split my basket with a friend so as not to waste the produce, so bonus when it is her turn to wake up early!!

And let's get real here - to me summer is about all the fresh wonderful produce that is in season. Cold Pasta salads loaded with Veggies, Crisp Fruit Salads so juicy it is almost better to eat them outside. Plus, I am now passing a love of fruits and veggies on to my son who LOVES making a mess with them, and gobbling them down at the same time.

Pasta Salad and Fruit salads are also great options to have in your fridge for a go to when it is just WAY too hot outside to even think of turning on your oven! (Bountiful Baskets did not ask me to do this entry, I am just sharing the love because it really is that good. Currently they offer baskets in ID, AZ, WA, UT, TX, WY, and NV check them out!)

After we picked up our basket we rushed home to eat breakfast and divide up the basket before rushing out the door to meet some mommy friends for a Pilate's Inspired Stroller Workout. I started taking this class after being invited by Lolo over at Crazy about My Baybah.

Wow! Let me tell you it is such a stress reliever for me, and Squish loves it bc we sing songs to the babies as we workout. Since it is so hot out now, (the temp was already well into the 100s as I arrived at 9am) we have moved the workout indoors to the Mall. Yes, we were "Mall Walkers", but we sure had fun doing it! *More on this class in a future blog entry.*

We then met up with my mommy friend and her son so they could pick up their half of the basket, and managed to sneak in a little shopping. Macy's was having a big sale, and their clearance was an addition 50% off.

I got 2 Carter's Rompers, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, and a onesie for Squish all for less than $25! Can you believe that?! And trust me, when you have a baby who seems to grow overnight out of the size they are wearing, nothing can beat a great sale!

By the time we got home, Squish was so crashed out, he slept thru a diaper change and an additional 3 hours!!

Sunday we were invited to go hang out at a friend's pool with her and her twin 9.5 month olds. Other than my son (who obviously in my mind is the cutest baby ever!!) these little boys are sooo cute. Although they really aren't that little.

They are both neck and neck with Squishy's size in every way possible. (In other words, at 9.5 months they are the same size as my 13 month old, and I thought I had a little beast of a baby!)

Although all 3 of the boys were a little sleepy, they managed to have a pretty nice time in the pool, as did I. As far as beating the heat goes, you really can't beat a nice pool.

(Added bonus for it being a private pool, so no worries about who is seeing you in your bathing suit, or flashing any innocent bystanders when your son pulls your boob out of your top!)

After her sweet smiley little men headed up to bed for a nap, we enjoyed some nice sandwiches and a little "Mommy Talk". I put Squish in a walker for the first time, and once he figured it out, let me tell you he was pretty excited to be zooming all over our friends home.

As we headed home, Squishy feel asleep in the car. He woke up briefly to nurse, and fell back to sleep for another Monster 3 Hour Nap!! Could it possibly be another growth spurt??

We spent the evening having fun watching Squish massacre his Mac and Cheese, Tofu Hot Dog, Watermelon, and Banana. That dinner resulted in an immediate bath, and then some fun playing before it was time to say goodnight.

He is still falling asleep in his bouncer, (I know, I know!) and after he feel asleep since he was in a super deep sleep I snuck in a little cuddle before I laid him down in his crib. I can't resist, he is just so sweet and squishy when he is sleeping.

As hot as they are, these days flying by so fast, I don't think there is anything wrong with sneaking in a little snuggle while they are still small enough to do so.

Now, what are we going to do to fool our bodies into thinking it isn't really as hot as my thermometer is telling us it is!



Squish practicing Attachment Parenting!
(I wish I could take credit for coming up with that caption, but alas a wittier friend gets the props on that.)


Playing with his new Towel!
Seriously how cute is this Caterpillar!


PEEK-A-BOO!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At July 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Desirae Legerski said...

Sounds like Sunday was a lot of fun. We spent the day cleaning :( Your basket sounds like it was great this week. I really want to get one but I am so not a morning person. Maybe I will be brave this week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home