Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Way Back Wednesdays

Well, I am trying something new. A couple of my favorite mama blogs have done it in the past, and so this week I am going to join in on the fun.

It is called Way Back Wednesdays (as indicated by the title, duh!). I first heard of it here, so check The Life of a Sippy Cup Mom if you want some more details, or just click the button!







If you are interested in trying this too, all you have to do is grab the button, answer the questions, and link it up! So easy!

This weeks topic? Favorite Halloween Memories/Costumes!

I have always loved Halloween. I loved the fact that we were able to dress up, have parties in school, participate in the Halloween Parade instead of sitting behind a desk (at least for the Elementary years), and of course what kid doesn't love free candy.

COSTUMES
I grew up in Chicago, so it was 9 times out of 10 pretty VERY cold. Costumes had to reflect this, because if you wore a coat, you couldn't show off your costume. Some of my favorite costumes through the years were:

"A crow." It was a handmade costume composed of a black leotard with fabric feathers sewn all over it, black leggings, and a beak made of felt.with a elastic band to keep it on. I actually wore this costume more than once I loved it so much.

"A ninja." Okay, so I was a little tom-boy, but this was a great costume. You could only see my eyes, so it was super cool and super warm all at the same time!

"The Crocodile Hunter's Wife" / "Jane" which was one from my college years when I was in the best shape of my life. We had just got home from and away meet, and all decided to hit up a Halloween party. So the costume had to be something I had. I took my white button down shirt and tied it in a knot showing a little of my toned abs (hey, I was a college athlete), khaki shorts, hiking boots, white tube socks, my roommate's stuffed animal snake to wear it around my neck, my teammates canteen, and bought a rubber spider on the way to the party and pinned it on my canteen. Once I got to the party one of my teammates/guy friends had shown up in nothing more than a loin cloth, so I became Jane for the evening. It was a pretty fun night. (I actually recycled this costume this year I was pregnant, only I didn't have super toned abs anymore...)
This is me and my husband in 2008. (He went as Bubba the Gas Attendant). I was about 6 weeks pregnant.


MEMORIES
The Good Ones: The house that owned Long Grove Confectionery's and always gave away HUGE caramel apples. The house that always gave away King Sized candy bars. (We later learned the people who owned that house had awful memories, and we would hit it up 2-3 times!) Carving Pumpkins, Halloween Parties at school, Junior High Drop in which had a Haunted Tunnel, Dressing up in High School, and College.

The Bad Ones: The year I was ditched by my supposed friends while trick or treating in Junior High. Nothing says loser like being ditched and having to explain to my parents why I was home so early. Having one too many drinks at a college party and ending the night super early. Breaking up with a boyfriend just before Halloween and scrambling to find new plans, which didn't end up being much fun.

The Best Ones: This past year where I dressed my sweet little squishy up as a Caterpillar, and then attempted (4 times) to make a football costume for him. My husband and I went as Packer's Fans, and carried our football. We spent the night at our friend's house who have a son just a little older than Kellan, handing out candy to all the super cute little kids.

My Attempt at a football.


Me and my Squishapillar!


Kellan's 1st pumpkin (as you can see he is thrilled...)

I look forward to many more Halloween's as a mother. I can't wait to see the build-up, excitement, and sugar-highs that go along with being a child on Halloween.

Xoxxo,
Us


Linking up to SITS girls and Halloween Past!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At July 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Sippy Cup Mom said...

I LOVE the caterpillar costume! He is super cute!

You had some great costumes and memories! I love Halloween!

 
At July 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Victoria said...

I love your Jane costume and awww love your son in his football!

 
At July 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Gina said...

That football costume is toooooo cute!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home