Thursday, May 13, 2010

Meaning behind the name

It occured to me today as I was wrapping a present for the son of a dear friend of mine, that my little baby, my tiny little squishy is going to be a year in a matter of weeks.  I can't believe how quickly that has snuck up on me.  I know I must have said a million times already that time flies, but really?  A year already?

At this time last year trying to pick a name for our baby boy was a daily conversation.  Partially because Rob and I couldn't quite agree on a name, and partially because I kept being indecisive.  (Something I excel at daily.)  It was very important to both Rob and myself that there was a meaning behind whatever name we chose.  We didn't want to just pick a name because we liked the sound of it.  We also wanted to somehow honor out Scandinavian background, but weren't sure how to incorporate that.

The names that kept coming up over and over were: Graeson, Nolan, and Kellan.  I also liked Caden and Cale, but Caden was really popular, and Cale was very short sounding with our last name.  Graeson was eliminated after a friend of a friend named their daughter that.  I didn't want my baby to share the same name as a girl.  Nolan was my personal favorite, Rob loved Kellan.

When we got to the delivery room we finally narrowed it down to Nolan and Kellan.  We decided we would wait to see what he looked like and name him after we saw him.  We also got onto a Swedish Baby Names website and picked middle names to go with each first name.  Nolan Thyr and Kellan Halsten.

After 26+ hours of labor and not having made it past 4 cm dilatation, my OB decided a C/S would be best. (I was induced at 38 weeks for pre-eclampsia symptoms).  At 5:48pm our baby boy made his way into this world.  I wasn't able to see him, but after a few minutes Rob came back over to me with tears in his eyes and told me he was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.  It was at that moment, seeing all the raw emotion in my husbands face, and pure love in his eyes, that I realized I didn't need to see my son to name him. 

It became very clear to me in that moment that the name my husband had picked for our son was perfect.  I told him before he walked back over to our baby that his name should be Kellan.  Rob said "really?"  I told him, "Our son't name is Kellan Halsten."  He smiled big, and repeated the name.  It was perfect.

They brought Kellan all bundled up like a burrito to see me for just a moment before they took him to the nursery.  He was beautiful, and looked just like a "Kellan" to me.  (He needed to go have some tests run, because at 38 weeks, my son was born 10lbs 2ozs, and was having problems with his blood sugar.  (I am so thankful we didn't wait til 40 weeks!))


So why Kellan Halsten?

In the baby names book we purchased the day after we found out we were expecting a baby, Kellan means "little companion".  Rob found it after we found out we were having a boy.  He looked at me and said, "This is perfect, because I know he will be my little buddy!"
Halsten we found on the Swedish Baby Names website.  It is the Swedish form of Old Norse Hallsteinn, meaning "rock stone".  Which we interpreted as implying strength.

I can think of no better name to fit my son.  He is truely Kellan Halsten K.  It fits him in everyway.  He is a strong baby, and will forever be our little companion.





I love this little squishy boy, at all stages, ages, and sizes.  He is the center of our world.

If we ever have another boy - I hope to name him Nolan.  (assuming my in-decisive nature doesn't get the better of me.)  It means "noble" or "little champion". 

Xoxxo,
Us

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM , Blogger loops925 said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

and I'm in tears! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home