Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Babies Don't Keep

I came across this from a posting on a website - and when I posted it to my Face book, my mother informed me that she had this last verse as an embroidery in my nursery. I think it’s neat when we come across connections like this.
I never used to be an organized person.  I never used to clean on a daily basis.  When I had Kellan it was like something inside changed, and all of a sudden I was cleaning everyday multiple times a day.  Sometimes I get so worked up in trying to do everything right, that it’s easy to forget not everything needs to get done that day. Being a Mom has changed me in more ways than this, but this seems to be the biggest and most important change. Organization makes like easier, picking up after you make the mess takes less time then saving it until later, but leaving the dishes for one more day to snuggle with your little one is not only okay, it’s the best feeling ever.  Snuggling is a priority in my house.




Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home