Sunday, August 1, 2010

Getting Lost in Labels

Recently I have been in an internal battle with myself over Squishy’s current sleeping habits.  You see for this whole time I have been following a baby-led schedule.  I have followed the cues my little man gives me and run with it.  In doing so, he doesn’t really have a schedule that we follow.  I really wanted him to set on for himself, and for a while he did.  But recently he has been going to bed later and later, waking up really early and taking an early nap, or sometimes not even waking up until well after 9:30am.

While that may sound fine to some of you, it really isn’t working for either of us.  Squishy gets crabbier on the days where he doesn’t sleep as many hours at night.  Most of our toddler activities are in the AM but he is so cranky he has been taking a nap during that time.  We have ended up spending most days indoors, and I have come to feel like I am chained to his schedule, which clearly isn’t working.

For well over a month I have been toying with the idea of implementing a nap/nighttime schedule.  I know in my heart that this is what is best for my baby.  I know it will allow him to sleep better, wake up rested, and let us enjoy our morning activities.

The other side of me worries that if I implement a schedule; will that make less in tune to my child's needs??  Will other’s see it as Parent-led, and therefore selfish?  Will my other AP friends give me the side-eye if they know I put my child on a schedule complete with sleep training? (Crazy, I know, but this is what runs through my head at night when I can't sleep...)

While those are valid questions, the reality is this.  Unless you are feeding your baby soda in a bottle, leaving him unattended, leaving him in a dirty diaper, let him scream for hours upon hours at a time, or worse (i.e. Child-abuse situations), I know I would not judge you for your parenting choices, so why do I think people are going to judge me for mine?  I am doing what I know to be best for my child in the long-run.  Why do we get so caught up in the labels and the Mommy Guilt that we sometimes forgo what is the best route to take?  Or, am I the only one who does this?

So starting tomorrow, we are going to gradually transition into a schedule for the Melon Man.  No drastic changes, but gentle nudges towards what I know in the end will lead to a much happier, rested baby (and mama).  Wish us luck!


Want a clue??  Check out some of our weekend re-cap.  It is in there somewhere!
We were pretty mellow this weekend.  I have had a pretty yucky headache most of the weekend, and Kellan’s sleeping has been all over the board… including a bedtime of 11:15pm last night.  (Trust me we tried to go to bed earlier…)
Mmm- Cupcakes from Retro Bakery - dang cupcake shows on TV got the best of me!



Splash Pad Fun!


Squishy learning his baby signs - cereal is being signed here
(Sorry for the mess - Tornado Kellan came through.)
"Please"

My future Linebacker!
Where in the World is Squishy?

Clean Cutie!

Welcome to all those who are visiting from Monday hops.  Make sure you click the Hop to It button to join in some fabulous hops!  Don’t forget to check out my EcoMom Giveaway, and make sure you stop back tomorrow as I will be announcing a super fun giveaway in honor of hitting 125 followers!!



GiveawayBlogdom
Question of the Week: If you could live in any era of time which would you live in?
The 40's.  The fashion was pretty amazing!






mingle mondays button

Monday Minute
Describe your life in one word
Blessed.
Is there something you wish you had learned how to do as a child?
Manage my money better.  I am not a good budgeter.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My mother.  If I am half as good of a mother as she is, I know my children will grow up happy and strong.
What is your greatest dream/hope/aspiration?
To raise happy, independent children, who believe they can do anything they put their mind to, and are loving and respectful to all those around them.  And to live a long and happy life with the love of my life, my hubs.
and finally...
Do you believe you have reached your potential?  Why/why not?
Do we ever reach our full potential?  As we reach our goals and dreams, we build new ones.  I hope to always be dreaming, and living to reach that dream!
Photobucket                                               Meet Me Monday

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At August 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for join us, Have a wonderful Monday.
Nan

 
At August 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Becca said...

I love the Squish pics! & the cupcakes are making me droooool!

 
At August 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

That cookies and cream cup cake looks amazing!!!

C kind of set his schedule. He gets tired and super cranky around 8, so that is when we decided to start his bedtime routine. Sometimes he needs to go down sooner, other times, we are out, and he goes down later. Do what works for you guys. It will work out great for both of you!

 
At August 1, 2010 at 10:11 PM , Blogger Leslie said...

what does it mean to be "ap?"

 
At August 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Eliz Frank said...

Best wishes on the schedule for your adorable little man... He will love once it all settles in. Those cupcakes are ourageously good looking. Could eat some now!
Following up from Nan's site for a Follow me Monday visit. I am following you too.
Best,
Eliz

 
At August 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM , Blogger Mandalyn said...

You know you are torturing me with those cuppycakes! Especially since they are like an hour and a half drive from me...and well about eight hours till I am sure the place opens!

Good luck with the sleep training. My son's sleep schedule is chaotic as well, and I know that I too need to get him back on track! This will be good for him and you!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 1:27 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Found you through Nan's hop and following!
Love your pics!! As for little man, he's going to end up GREAT no matter if you go with a schedule or with the flow. I was never much of a schedule person myself. While you will get many differing opinions from many that will think their way is the only RIGHT way, it's not true. Fo with your gut instinct of what is best for your child and family.
((HUGS))

 
At August 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since I started watching Cupcake Wars Ive been craving cupcakes!! And those look super yummy!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 1:55 AM , Blogger Marissa said...

cute pics and those cupcakes looks amazing! Found you through Our Happy Home and love your blog! Newest follower here :)

 
At August 2, 2010 at 3:50 AM , Blogger Terra Heck said...

Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog via Keepin' Company Thursdays. I am now a follower of yours. I'm really likin' that shower curtain. What an adorable child you have!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 4:41 AM , Blogger J Rodney said...

Hi There,

What a cutie he is. I have had to do the same with my now 12-month-old, and it did not take long before it started working better for everyone.

I’m stopping by from Meet Me Monday, and I am your latest follower.
I would love it, if you would come join me at Follow Us Monday Morning .

 
At August 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM , Blogger Sippy Cup Mom said...

Looks like a great weekend! Those cupcakes look so good!

And you know what's best for your little one!! Trust your instincts and don't let anyone judge! ;-)

 
At August 2, 2010 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Marcie W. said...

Hi, Im your newest follower and I live in Vegas as well. I was born here and have been here my entire life! We're in the SW part of town!

Would love for you to stop by my blog:
http://obviouslymarvelous.blogspot.com/

Thanks - Mar!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son is beautiful! Love the tub shot..he is cheesin like nobodies biz!!

I agree with you on the full potential question for sure!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM , Blogger -c-h-i-e said...

yummy cupcakes! following you from Follow Me Monday

 
At August 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Ms. Emmy N said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! And what a great name you have :)

Your son is just adorable!! Such cute pictures!! Good luck with the sleeping schedule!! Momma always knows best :)

 
At August 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM , Blogger HRH Mommy said...

Emily,

I hear you on the challenges of setting a schedule. We have been on a set schedule that works for both Ryder and us since he was about 3 months old. We did the same thing with Kai and he's still napping / taking quiet time from 1-4pm.

The books we used, might be worth checking out. I didn't follow them to the T, but used them for our situation and they were awesome:

The Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg
The Baby Sleep Solution, by Suzy Giordano.

Last but not least: do NOT let other people's ideas / opinions / judgments tell you how you raise your child. Every child is different and you do what's best for your child.

Drop me an email if you want more ideas.

Happy Monday!


HRH Mommy
http://mformommy.blogspot.com

 
At August 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Emily - faliLV said...

Thanks for all the kind comments ladies! I will let you know how it all goes.
As far as the cupcakes go - it was those darn cupcake shows that got me too!!
If by chance you didn't leave your blog site, and your profile is set to private I hope you will return so I can follow you back.

 
At August 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am a new resident to Sin City...and must know where you found those yummy cupcakes =)

Love your blog!

Don't worry about if people judge you! We have four girls and a bedtime routine is a must at our house.

Make bedtime FUN for your little man and he will enjoy it and look forward to it every night!

Start with a bath (or jump into jammies), brush teeth, read a book, and tuck him in with LOTS of hugs and kisses. Bedtime can be his special time with mom or dad!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home