Monday, October 19, 2009

Pirate Knights and Pumpkin Daze....


With Rob getting ready to deploy out again for a while, I find myself cherishing these "events" that we can do as a family. So as Halloween approaches, what better way to spend a Saturday then at a Pumpkin Patch? This is easier said than done here in Las Vegas. I looked at several different options, until I found a review on the McKee Family Ranch. It said it had farm animals, a hayride, a pumpkin patch, a corn maze, and corn cannon. This sounded like the perfect little adventure for our family. And what an interesting adventure it would turn out to be!





So we set out for the drive across town, and thirty minutes or so later we pulled up to the Ranch. This was not quite as we had pictured. To start their attractions were not quite as described. They did have several different farm animals, a pumpkin patch of sorts, and a hayride that consisted of a trailer bed with a block of hay thrown on it attached to a tractor that drove around a small yard. Not exactly the Midwest pumpkin patch and hayride my husband and I were used to. Of course we are in the middle of a desert and it was 95 degrees out, so we should have known it wouldn't be quite right. After shelling out the $20.00 entrance fee, that included your choice of pumpkin, (yes $20.00 is a lot of money for what I just described, but we were already there so...) we ventured into the "patch" and introduced Kellan to his first Pig, Ducks, Roosters, Donkey, Goats, and several horses.





The pig completely scared the ___ out of me when it almost mauled me down (okay not really, but it did jump up onto the edge of its cage and snort really loud), I quickly realized I have not been around farm animals in a long time! This however did cause my husband to almost double over in laughter... good to know I can still make him laugh. The horses were pretty, and begging to be fed, although we didn't have any treats with us, so I don't think they liked us too much. The Donkey's loud heehaw scared Kellan a little bit. And the goats were too far away to really see. Overall it was still fun to hang out and get some cute pictures. Next year, however, I think we are going to stick to the typical Vegas pumpkin patches that offer bouncy slides, and carnival rides instead of hayrides and horses, and save the classic pumpkin patches for trips back to the Midwest. It still was a great family day, and Kellan's first Halloween Adventure! Next up, pumpkin carving and putting Kellan in his costume. (Pictures to be posted after Halloween!)


Xoxxo,
Us

3 Comments:

At October 20, 2009 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous Kerri said...

What a disappointment, but way to make the best out of it!!! Still in the midwest, I can see the difference just in the pics of the animals, alone! Curious, though...since you said it was 95 degrees...WHY IS KELLAN WEARING SO MANY CLOTHES in the pic of him in the stroller?

 
At October 20, 2009 at 7:35 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Haha Kerri - you caught me, I snuck that picture in, it was from a Mommy and Me pumpkin event and it was one of our only "cold" days here this fall. It was 61 in that pic, and then went back up to the 90s the next week. :)

 
At October 22, 2009 at 11:59 AM , Anonymous Kerri said...

Ahhhh..Though I'm sure you ENJOYED that cool day to let you feel like Fall was real...w/ my sis living in AZ, she WISHES she had cool days to remind her what Autumn is supposed to feel like...Ahhh..sweater weather.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home